Chief Operating Officer (COO)
Wall, Einhorn & Chernitzer, P.C. (WEC), a regional accounting firm known for its forward-thinking workplace culture, is seeking a chief operating officer (COO) to join their team.
The firm is a proud recipient of numerous prestigious awards including Virginia Business’ “Best Places to Work in Virginia,” Accounting Today’s “Best Accounting Firms to Work For,” Inside Business’ “Best Places to Work in Hampton Roads,” and CoVa BIZ’s “Best Places to Work.” Watch this video to see what makes WEC a “Best Place to Work” and check out the firm’s Instagram to get a better idea of the day-to-day workplace culture.
Wall, Einhorn & Chernitzer, P.C. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Send resume with cover letter and salary requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Position Summary: The chief operating officer (COO) is responsible for the day-to-day operation of the firm. The COO reports directly to the managing shareholder. The COO works closely with the managing shareholder to formulate management goals at least annually. The COO carries out policies made by the shareholder group and implements procedures necessary to ensure timely completion of all client work.
The COO plays a key role in human resources and acts as a liaison between management and team members, and between accounting and administrative personnel. The COO is responsible for the firm’s office overall and supervises the office manager, HR generalist, firm accountant, talent acquisition & development manager and marketing coordinator in their duties.
- Control workflow to maintain a balanced workload for the administrative team
- Standardize office procedures, systems and electronic forms. Recommend system revisions and implement new forms and procedures as necessary in consultation with the managing shareholder.
- Directly responsible for all human resources activities for the firm, including hiring and recruiting activities. Is involved in key performance conferences and outplacements when necessary (with the assistance of the HR generalist and talent acquisition & development manager).
- Administer the firm’s employee benefits programs. Recommend revisions to maintain a competitive compensation and benefits package. Negotiate contracts for employee insurance and benefits to provide the best value. Administer the firm’s 401(k) and flexible benefit plans.
- Supervise the firm accountant and all internal accounting functions including the preparation of monthly general ledgers and financial statements. Provide statistical reports reflecting each shareholder’s performance on a monthly basis.
- Monitor accounts receivable and cash flow. Supervise the processing and mailing of
accounts receivable statements monthly. Supervise follow-up collection letters and calls when appropriate.
- Responsible for firm’s banking relationship.
- Responsible for coordination and supervision of all marketing efforts within the firm including supervision of the marketing coordinator.
- Monitor firm marketing activities for all employees, including assisting with the development of personal marketing plans for shareholders and managers with the assistance of the managing shareholder. Hold monthly business development/sales meetings and provide general education related to practice development.
- Responsible for the firm’s internal technology including supervision of the outsourced IT function.
- Daily involvement with technology team to ensure smooth and efficient operation of the office from an information technology perspective.
- Coordinate with shareholders and managers in the scheduling process to ensure smooth work flow management and even distribution of work and appropriate firm headcount.
- Other duties as assigned.
Base Salary: $100,000+, depending upon experience of candidate hired
- Minimum of 10 years’ management experience required
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience supervising multiple direct reports required
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Strong financial background overseeing a financial reporting process required
- MS Office (Excel, Outlook, Word) proficiency
- Excellent organizational and analytical skills
- Strong leadership, mentoring and management skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Drive to contribute to a dynamic collaborative team environment
- Master’s degree in business administration or CPA license a plus
- Prior accounting or professional services firm experience a plus
- Experience with CCH® ProSytem fx® Practice Management software a plus
Benefits Include: Three (3) weeks paid time off (with incremental increases after meeting time of service criteria), $200 annual wellness reimbursement, continuing professional education and tuition assistance, 401(k) profit sharing plan with firm match, seven (7) paid holidays and two (2) floating holidays, medical insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, life insurance, voluntary short-term disability, long-term disability, paid parental leave and paid bereavement leave.
Other Perks Include: Flexible scheduling and option to telecommute as needed, “dress for your day” dress code, 36 hour summer work weeks, complimentary in-office massages during busy season, formal mentoring program, 24 hours paid time for community service in addition to regularly scheduled community service events open to whole firm, electronic sit-to-stand desks, regular firm socials and team-building activities, paid parking space, and much more!